Re: [TCML] CRT wire - harvesting safely

Consider any intact CRT as a potential bomb which must be disarmed before
it is safe to work on. CRTs are under a hard vacuum, so for every square
foot of  surface area, atmospheric pressure is trying to crush it with over a
ton of  pressure. (atmospheric pressure ~ 14.7 PSI x 144 sq. in. = 2116.8
lbs.) Even a  scratch can weaken the glass to the point of failure. If you
still plan on  disarming a CRT, wear eye and face protection and gloves.

The safest way to equalize the pressure is to snip off the vacuum tip,
which is located in the center of the back of the neck. It's usually exposed on
 smaller "baseless" tubes and under the center "key" of the Bakelite bases.
Use  wire cutters to snip the glass tip (called the tubulation) just enough
to allow  air to slowly enter the tube. If it has a Bakelite base, you'll
need to  carefully crush the center key to expose the tip, and then snip it
off. It's  usually too difficult and risky to try to remove the whole base.

Something else to consider it that CRTs are in effect, a Leyden  jar
capacitor, and can store a potentially hazardous charge for a very long  time! Be
sure to first discharge the CRT by connecting a ground wire to the  chassis
(or the conductive outer coating on the CRT) and then touching it to the
second anode button on the side of the CRT. Keep it there a while because a
residual charge will build back up if only touched briefly.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 2/7/2010 2:59:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,