From: futuret@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, Feb 14, 2010 10:00 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tuning Questions

Charlie,

Maybe the coupling wasn't all that tight to begin with? It's true though that a lower powered coil of a given size can tolerate a tighter coupling
than a higher powered coil of that same physical size (assuming
the same break rate).  Surely you'll get longer sparks if you parallel
another OBIT, but the coil may still benefit from tighter coupling,
after that. It's difficult to say for sure in advance. If you add another
OBIT and leave the spark gap spacing unchanged, the break rate will
increase, so the bang size may stay the same.  With an extra
OBIT, you may need a fan blowing on the spark gap for cooling
(if you're not already using a fan).

I usually make my secondary coil adjustable in height.  First I lower
the secondary until l get racing sparks, then I raise it until they stop.

 http://futuret.110mb.com

Cheers,
John