Re: [TCML] Large Top Loads

Jim,

If you look in the back of Smithsonian, Discover, or Air and Space Magazine, you will often find a Harbor Freight ad good for 20% off any purchase. A friend bought one of those rollers a few months ago. Seems well built.

I'm going to try using ~1" diameter rigid coax that I bought at a hamfest for next to nothing. If I remove the outer PVC jacket, I'll have a nice corrugated copper tube for the toroid segments. Probably will be a bit heavier than aluminum, though. Just need time to try out the concept. Aluminum tube is crazy expensive around here, unless you can find it surplus somewhere.

Steve Ward made his beautiful toroid with a Harbor Freight bender.

Dave
Harbor Freight has a  manually driven version for about $150. [Not sure if it
could actually roll a 48" diameter x 1" aluminum tube.]  My question is: has
anyone tried to fabricate a top load made of a cluster of aluminum tubing?

Thanks,
Jim Zimmerschied