RE: [TCML] Musical Tesla Coils (plasma speakers on steroids)

One thing is that I don't think you understand the nature of the available SSTC designs already available on the internet.  Practically all of these SSTCs are pulsed type Tesla coils which cannot be audio modulated in the fashion you desire.  What you need is a high power CW type solid state coil, and if you want high quality audio, you are going to have to go with a Class-E type system.  There is no way around that - pure and simple.

The arc from a CW coil thats switching at less than 3MHz will have a very loud hiss associated with it that will degrade audio quality considerably.  You need to switch at least 3MHz (preferably greater than 4MHz) to have a silent arc thats capable of producing real high quality audio.

Also, seems you are little confused about the 1000W amplifier as well.  You are not going to be able to power your SSTC directly with it.  You'll need a separate switching circuit to power your Tesla coil, which is typically a half or full bridge (for low frequency), or a class-e for high frequency operation.

I definitely applaud your enthusiasm, but i would suggest you start small and probably pursue the class-e path.  For high power, class-D is also a great alternative.  Class-H is a better alternative to AB as it will be more efficient as well, especially with those power levels.  If you're already designing a 1000W AB amplifier, then you obviously have a lot of electronic design experience so going to a Class-H amplifier with modulated power rails won't be much more of a leap for you.

If you want to hear a 1kW system, my Plasmasonic II running here is running at 1.5kW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tKo_3DzdSU

Dan

That kit is nice and cute, unfortunately, it's not capable of pumping the amount of power I'm looking for.  I would like the experience of constructing my own coil.  The biggest problem I have at the moment is "How do i take an already great SSTC design and make it sing?"  There are so many refined SSTC schematics out there fully capable of 500 watt plus power levels.  However, I am not sure how one would go about turning any of them into audio modulated systems.

This is my idea so far:
Design a 300V Hexfet class AB amplifier using 1000 watts of power mosfets.  Take the signal from my mixer, send it through a 1:1 audio isolation transformer, and ground one leg of the transformer on the output side so I have only a positive biased waveform.  I can use that waveform to feed a low distortion MOSFET drive chip.

Lastly, I will take my now audio modulated 1000W 300V signal and power my SSTC directly with it.  Resulting in a crisp AM discharge with a class AB quality.

Dose anyone see a problem with this design?