Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

 Paul,

I was running at around 100kHz or lower in some of my work.

Some experimenters may have used rotaries with such long
dwell times that re-firing of the gap while the electrodes were
still aligned, may have occurred.  This causes very inefficient
operation.

In some of my tests, I used very narrow electrodes, with "offset"
to create basically a zero mechanical dwell time, both with
12 point series rotaries, and with regular rotaries, still no
significant differences were seen in spark lengths or input
power.  In some tests of a regular rotary gap, using offset
reduced my input power some.

John

John wrote:
 > In my own magnifier work, I compared 12 points series
 > quenching rotaries and regular rotary gaps, and didn't
 > see any difference in performance.  The mechanical dwell
 > time in all rotaries tends to be rather long compared to
 > optimal quench times, except perhaps for huge Tesla coils
 > running at very low frequencies.

Experiences clearly differ. In a particular system, much may
depend on the operating mode (3:4:5, or whatever) and
frequency.  Short transfer time due to low modes and/or high
frequency would presumably require a more determined quenching,
and that would be true of both 2-coil and 3-coil systems.