Re: [TCML] how is this possible?

Hi Norman,

Great report!  Thanks for sharing it with the list.  I don't expect TCML members will be lining up to demand photographic proof of your claims.  Your result is unusual, but entirely possible.  I can offer a number of possible explanations.

Most likely cause is mains resonance.  I believe 37nF is the mains resonant value for 9/60, very close to your 30nF cap.  Mains resonance allows an NST to exceed its faceplate value.  I once resonated a 15/30 NST with a 6nF cap, and got it to jump a 3" spark gap!  I didn't understand what a bad thing I was doing to my brand-new NST (Transco PolyLock).  Fortunately, I didn't ruin my NST.  Anyhow, your NST may be providing lots more voltage & current than you expect.  Put that together with a spark gap that's set a little too wide, and you get bigger than expected sparks.  Be aware that mains resonance can shorten the life of an NST.

Along with mains resonance, you may have achieved optimal coupling between the TC primary and secondary.  You may have also hit upon an optimal size & elevation for your toroid.  Your spark gap may be quenching at an optimal spot on the envelope.  In other words, your big sparks may be due to 60Hz resonance, accidental coil optimization, or both.

Congrats on the big sparks.  Have fun with it.

Greg