From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Steve Ward
Sent: 25 February 2010 04:01
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Toroid height, What's best

The magnetic flux there is probably a lot more than you think... the
secondary being a solenoid tends to bring those flux lines all the way to
the top, making the "primary's" field extend much higher than it would
otherwise (you know that whole mutual inductance thing??).  Ive had toroids
run pretty warm to the touch from this, but thats on high-power solid state
systems, and by comparison to the total power level, it probably was pretty
insignificant as far as losses go.

But, since aluminum is indeed a pretty good conductor, even as a weakly
coupled shorted turn, the biggest effect will be to lower the apparent
inductance of the coil (which isnt a good thing really), which i think is
what Dex meant by "can be compensated for".

Steve