Re: [TCML] ideas needed for using 3 SMPS NSTs (10 kV, 30 mA)

Hey guys i have one of those solid state neon transformers as well, and i too was looking for something useful to do with it.
voltage multiplier seems like a good idea. especially since i have a ton of 2kv .5A diodes and 2kv .01uf ceramic caps laying around. the transformer is rated for 6kv 30ma

I know this is not a tesla coil question so respond to my e-mail at jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx

How do you determine the voltage ratings for the diodes and the capacitors needed in the multiplier circuit? I have looked on the internet for an answer and have yet to find a clear one. Will the stuff i have work.

thanks in advance ,
Jay Howson

Hi Thomas,

The high frequency (20+ kHz) output is ideal for driving a
Cockroft-Walton (C-W) Voltage Multiplier, since smaller HV capacitors
can be used in each stage. The following web page provides useful C-W
design info for both half and full wave C-W multipliers:

http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

Bert
--