Re: [TCML] Bremsstrahlung radiation

On the back cover of the book NIKOLA TESLA: LECTURE BEFORE THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES--APRIL 6, 1897 Jim Corum points out that Nikola Tesla's independent discovery of X rays, unlike Roentgen's, was primarily based upon sources that produced X rays by vacuum high field emission and the process now known as bremsstrahlung. While Roentgen employed a gaseous discharge tube utilizing electron avalanche, Tesla's cold cathode tubes worked best with high vacuum. Tesla's distinctive approach presaged the way for high energy particle accelerators, permitting the utilization of megavolt potentials, single electrode tubes, atmospheric bremsstrahlung, and a variety of intense beam techniques.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Rutherford" <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 3:00 AM
Subject: SPAM-LOW: [TCML] Bremsstrahlung radiation

Hi All,

It appears the Bremsstrahlung wikipedia page credits Tesla with the
discovery of Bremsstrahlung radiation, however the page is lacking a
citation.  I was wondering if anyone could point me to a reference,
i.e. CSN, NY labs, where he did experiments with accelerated ions in
fields?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung

Many thanks

Chris