RE: [TCML] getting more performance out of my coil

Hello Norm,

I remember being brand new to Tesla coils; how fun was that? The ocassional shock, not unlike a pregnancy scare! "Am I going to die? Are my nerves fried?"

When it comes to increasing performance, I would recommend using a variac with its output from zero to 140VAC, as well as , if possible, using an MMC rather than three series capacitors. If you can, you should get slightly closer to resonant, in my opinion. However, you may want to reduce the current loading on each of the capacitors by putting them in parallel strings.

I would recommend above seven nanofarads, just to be careful. Perhaps the primary should be at a conical angle, rather than a pancake coil.

Good luck!

 - Christopher Karr