Re: [TCML] Is my 10" Tesla Coil Illegal ?

Are you aware of something called "conducted emissions"?

Im all for giving advice and ideas, but this advice seems rather un-sound
and purely guess work (any of my experience with RFI doesnt completely agree
with your "solution").  Im also not convinced you need the coil to arc to
the faraday cage for it to be effective.

>From the solid state systems i work with, the biggest producer of EMI is
when the coil arcs to something (grounded or just large).  This produces
bursts of 5-10MHz noise on my large system, comparable in size to Gary's 10"
coil.  I often use my laptop computer (powered from the same circuit, no
less) about 25 feet away from our twin system that produces up to 20 foot
discharges.  SS is obviously a lot less EMI, since i dont use anything in
particular for a line filter (though i really should).  Anyway, just wanted
to point out that all of our EMI related issues have always been from the
coils sparking to stuff, usually there are zero problems until that happens
(and usually its not a problem anyway).

A full faraday cage and careful line filtering would be the best ways of
chopping away at the EMI.  Line filtering is pretty trivial (mechanically)
and has the potential to help considerably.

Steve