RE: [TCML] A few TC questions

In order to properly space the main spark gap, a great method is to set the electrodes to the point at which they barely will arc over with no capacitor attached. This will ensure that they can arc over at or near the RMS voltage of your transformer, which will keep the coil from putting too much stress on your transformer and capacitor. This should be done without the fan blowing on the electrodes, since the fan will increase the breakdown voltage of your spark gap while in use.

To accurately adjust your safety gap, it should be set a bit below the voltage of the MOVs, and should also be made in such a manner that it will very infrequently fire. In order to achieve this, you will want to adjust it so that - were you to take an insulated rod while the transformer was running and no capacitor attached - you might be able to coax an arc out of the transformer through this gap with a slight tap upon the electrode from the insulated rod, but not before. This must be done, though, before you adjust the primary spark gap, since the primary spark gap is made to be just below the breakdown voltage, while the safety gap is made to be just above the breakdown voltage, so that it will trigger when the primary gap 'refuses' to.