Re: [TCML] SRSG "sputter"

Hi Joe,

The sharp, cracking sound you describe sounds like something equivalent to a
safety gap firing due to overvoltage and bad phasing - something that
definitely needs fixing.  If it's not in the safety gap itself, you'll need
another pair of eyes at a different vantage point to spot the source of the
discharges.  For the arcs at the outer edge of the primary - are they
between the primary and strike rail?  But the location of the sounds is
secondary to the underlying problem of why you're getting an over-voltage
breakdown in the first place.

Perhaps the phase of the gap is just very far from where it should be and
beyond the range of the Freau adjuster?  Maybe try rotating the motor or
disk 45 degrees?  What you should see is that as the adjuster Variac
inductance increases and the phase moves later in time, the spark length
grows until it abruptly goes to pot and the safety gap fires.  BTW, I think
the word "dwell" has no place in this discussion; dwell refers to the amount
of time that contacts are closed, usually in the context of automotive
ignition systems.  We're varying the phase of the gap firing, not the
duration of the firing.

Just to be certain - your motor is 1800RPM?  I don't think that
primary/secondary tuning is a factor in this problem.  I don't think a small
angular error in the disk electrodes would do this either.

I didn't understand what you saw when you adjusted the phase - "that just
pretty much lengthens or grows the signal intensity".  Are you certain that
your motor is synchronous and that the adjuster is working?  Have you tried
taping a magnet to the shaft and scoping a pickup coil to determine the
range of adjustment?  It's easy to put a too-heavy rotor assembly on a small
motor and have it unable to run synchronously.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA