Re: [TCML] New Coil Light

Hi Miles,
I've seen many different designs myself and have wondered the same things you do. I ran my first coil with the tank caps across the NST and the spark gap in series after that. It worked well, but I fear that may have been the cause of the demise of my very first tranny (R.I.P).
I don't recommend it. You should wire the spark gap across the NST ( after a Terry filter of course), then your tank cap and primary coil in series across the spark gap leads to close the circuit.

That's all based off these notes I got off the list;
"A) the gap in parallel with the xfmr, then a seriesed cap & primary in parallel with that, and
B) the cap in parallel with the xfmr, then a seriesed gap & primary in parallel with that.

Performance-wise, the two are equivalent.  However, it has been shown that A) results in less HF stress being directed at the xfmr.  The gap is shorted during the brief interval when the primary circuit rings during each bang, so the xfmr doesn't see the HF oscillations.  It may seem undesirable to place a short across the xfmr output, but it's a very tiny percentage of the time so the power lost is neglegable, and as the xfmr is current limited, no harm comes of it."

Brandon