Re: [TCML] 1st Run

Miles Mauldin wrote:

I guess I’m going to be winding another secondary but this time with
a different design; I truly believe the design caused my failure and
not some contaminate within the PVC tube. So maybe the correct design
for a secondary coil is to not have any “ANY” external connections to
the windings internally to the coil form.

I bet it looked really cool inside of the PVC tube, though.  :)

There are, in the archives, some ideas for keeping all of the connections on the outside of the coil. I soldered the bottom of my coil to a copper strip, which nested inside of a female PVC fitting with another strip in the same location for the ground contact (this might be on the pupman main page, I think it was Bert Hickman's idea). For the top connection, you can just bring the wire up and tape it to the bottom of the toroid.

For toroid mounting, I attach an inverted female PVC end cap with nylon screws (1/4-20 IIRC) onto the secondary endcap. With this method, the toroid has a matching female PVC cap, and a short length of PVC is inserted between the two female sections to hold the toroid to the top.

Jon