Re: [TCML] 1st Run

Hi miles,  something must be terribly wrong here.   It looks like you have .06 uf in your primary capacitor.  From the picture it doesn't' look like your secondary would be in tune with your primary circuit.  can you give us the specs on your secondary coil?

Roger
---- Miles Mauldin <teslamiles@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1st Run, not so good.  Was really looking forward to seeing my work come to
fruition but it was so short lived I didn’t even have a chance at the camera.
On the first run I saw more than a dozen 15-18" streamers all around the top
toroid, that was taping around the 9th turn. I didn’t realize how hot the
primary would get.  I could not touch the clamp on the primary for several
minutes.  Everything looked great at this point.  I tuned a half turn in and
started another run at about 60% power but didn’t see any streamers at all.  In
fact I started smelling something burning. At that point I turned everything off
and found the source of the smell on the far side of the coil from me.  The
secondary had a catastrophic failure internally.  Photos here ->
http://www.cmnow.com/TeslaMan/1stRun/

I guess I’m going to be winding another secondary but this time with a different
design; I truly believe the design caused my failure and not some contaminate
within the PVC tube.  So maybe the correct design for a secondary coil is to not
have any “ANY” external connections to the windings internally to the coil form.

Best thing I can say about last night; Mr. Butters didn’t make a show….

Next is always better.
Miles M