[TCML] Success (I think) - method for tuning 120bps

I switched back to the propeller SRSG after picking up the pieces of the exploded ARSG.  I used the same "frame" if I can use that term, that I used for the ARSG.  That is the stationary electrodes are all the same.

I got the coil running at 15/90 at 240 bps.  Tuned in, generally.  No arcing anywhere - which leads me to believe there was a fundamental mechanical problem with my other SRSG.  Perhaps it was slipping, or some such.

In any case, at 240BPS I noticed in manipulating the Freau phaser that there were occasions when the SRSG was basically only firing on 4 electrodes instead of all 8.  I noted the setting on the phase shift variac, then I stopped the coil and took out the electrodes that weren't firing.  Upon turning the coil back on, I achieved firing in 120bps mode, with some great sparkage.  Then I could tune the Freau phaser around that "set point" and maximize the sparks.

Why the heck didn't I think of that before???

Anyway - at the risk of tempting fate I will declare my coil working at least provisionally.  If I can repeat that procedure tomorrow and achieve the same results, I'll say it works.

Thanks to all for your massive help.

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx