From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Finn Hammer
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:17 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Thumper, the worlds most advanced tesla coil.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:39:12 +0200, Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finn Hammer wrote:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hpP56JwGg
>>
>> It shows the primary current waveform, while we sweep the tapping
>> point from 1/2 turn too low, and up to the sweet spot, where the
>> notches appear. Notice that the current has dropped to half value by
>> then, but the streamers have developed from 10 cm to 1 metre. With
>> the notch in view, we then reduce the on-time till it coincides with
>> the notch, and while this does not reduce the streamer, it reduces power consumption.
> A clear demonstration that this is the best way to drive a DRSSTC.
> Driving at the resonances just accumulates energy in the primary
> circuit, with inefficient transfer to the secondary.
>>
>> Building this coil has beeen an unprecedented pleasure, so an
>> abbreviation to describe it would not suffice, an acronym had to be
>> pinned on it:
> Building a well-built machine is always a pleasure. Congratulations
> for the great work.

Thank you for your kind words.
It is my hope, that this machine will be able to provide the media and data needed, for a clearer understanding of the tuning of a DRSSTC to be documented. You have already layed it down in math, my aim is to make it available in intuitive audio-visual form.

Cheers, Finn Hammer