Re: [TCML] MOT wire question

Hi Brian,

Here's a simplified explanation of MOT windings and connections:

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/mot_chat.htm

The 3 turns of fabric covered wire is a low voltage secondary used to heat the filament of the magnetron tube.  It is not useful for coiling.  Just cap the ends and tuck these leads out of the way.

Next time you field strip a dead microwave oven, look inside the enclosure for a schematic.  Many ovens have a schematic diagram--including a pinout for the MOT--pasted inside the cabinet.  Inside more than one oven I have found an envelope containing a detailed schematic, a guide to important test points, and a replacement parts list.

Cheers,

Greg