RE: [TCML] Is tuning different for SRSG than for Static Gap?

Hi Brandon,

As far as tuning the primary & secondary resonant frequencies, no,  the type of gap wouldn't matter.  Despite having all sorts of test equipment available, once I'm in the ballpark with the design, I always use trial & error to select the best primary tap point.

You should realize that when moving from a static gap to an SRSG, the primary cap value needs to be higher with the SRSG, or else you'll overvolt the cap & NST.  So with the same NST and secondary system, you'd need a larger primary cap and comparably smaller primary.  Of use the occasion to upsize your topload to compensate.

I'm glad to hear that you're using a Freau phase controller.  While technically not tuning, I find that the RSG phase is extremely critical, and I use the phase control much like a Variac - set it to an early phase, then slowly advance it until it "goes out of whack", then back off a bit.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA