Re: [TCML] General Questions About a Pig Powered Coil(andanIntroduction)

Tom,

Wow, that' some nice hardware you have there ;^)

Well, first of all, I'm still a bit puzzled by your want-
ing to keep it "portable" when you're going to be using
3 variacs and a transformer that will weigh several
hundred pounds! But hey, it's your project. :^)

Next thing is that you need to forget all of that non-
sense about keeping your secondary conductor length
equal to the 1/4 wavelength of the Res. frequency. All
of that 1/4 wavelength info is outdated and pretty much
false. Besides, the distributed C of the secondary, as well
as the additional C of a topload have a much greater effect
on the operational Res. frequency than does the length of
the secondary conductor. Your proposed 1000 turns for
your secondary coil is a good ballpark/rule-of-thumb
figure to aim for, though.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Schmit" <Thomas.Schmit@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:47 AM
Subject: RE: [TCML] General Questions About a Pig Powered Coil(andanIntroduction)

Thanks for the welcome!

The "pig" is a 15 KVA unit; the primary (my secondary) voltage is listed as 7200/14400 and the secondary (my primary) is listed as 120/220. I will be running it on 120 because I'd like to make this coil "portable" for some demonstrations (this is one reason for the variac). I do not believe these locations have 220 volt access, so I must be content with 120.

The variac consists of three units stacked in one. I was thinking I could use one of the variacs as an inductive choke (i.e. "ballast") for my pole pig by wiring the primary in series (and leaving the adjustable tap unconnected) with the pig. I'm not sure whether this will provide enough of a choke, however. I could wire two of them in series or, if that is still insufficient, I can probably dig up a surplus choke from the cloud chamber. Like I said, this variac is rated for an almost absurd current, IIRC so I think it should work well, even if I run at 120 volts and 30 amps.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot before even starting, so if the general consensus is to make a bigger secondary, a bigger secondary I will make! However (embarrassingly) the longest lathe I own is only 30 inches. In fact, I've somehow collected three 16 by 30 American Pacemaker lathes. Absolutely fantastic machines - some of the best ever made ... but also very "stubby" (despite being only 30" between centers, these bad boys whey 7200 lbs a piece). I can squeeze about 32" but that is about all I've got - if I really had to, I could wind the first portion on the lathe and then <shudder> do the last several turns by hand.

I've got a big role of surplus 23 awg magnet wire, so I'd surely like to use it instead of buying heavier gauge wire.

Now I've read that the length of the secondary conductor should be roughly 1/4 of the resonant frequency wavelength. I've not really though about why this should be the case - I understand the necessity of matching resonant frequencies between the two LC circuits but this requirement regarding the length of the conductor was not immediately obvious to me.

Once I get a design set for the secondary coil, I can calculate the needed capacitance and sizes of the other components readily. I just need to "fix" some of these parameters - there are too many variables floating around! :-)

I guess the final question is regarding capacitors. Does anyone know of a good source for surplus or otherwise cheap capacitors for a MMC setup? I've got a bundle of ultra-low esr, low loss high pass capacitors for microwave experiments. The only trouble is they are 0.0047 microfarad and have an impractically low voltage rating...

Thanks everyone!

~Tom S.