Re: [TCML] How Important is Location?

Hum.  How much of a difference are you talking about?  Our friends in Denver, CO., can make bigger sparks with the same power? My coil will perform better while a low preasure weather system is present?  I can see if it were Mt. Everest where an average of 255 Torr (10-12 inHg), sea level is 760 Torr or 29.95 inHg.  But do you think a difference of 4 inHg would make a noticable difference (average difference between sea level and Denver)?

Miles

________________________________
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, March 29, 2010 12:39:10 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] How Important is Location?

You ask an interesting question that I've not seen previously discussed here.  I think there are two things that would be affected by altitude.

If using a static spark gap, assuming that no adjustment was made for altitude, the gap breakdown voltage for a given gap width will be lower at high altitudes.  This would result in a smaller "bang" size and lower performance, so to keep things equal, a high-altitude coil would need the gap width expanded to compensate.

And, it's likely that for the same topload voltage, the length of sparks will be longer at higher altitudes, since low pressure gasses are more easily ionized.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA