Re: [TCML] Grounding a Tesla Coil (Yes, Again)

I would expect the counterpoise to have corona to Earth. That is unless it forms part of a Faraday cage to prevent capacitative coupling from toroid to actual earth but that would defeat the purpose anyway. With my big TC I use a 2 foot square metal counterpoise in addition to my RF ground earth which is about 15 feet away off the bitumen drive.
Peter
www.tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "jimlux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Brandon Hendershot wrote:
Alright,
I'm hearing a lot about counterpoise whenever this comes up. I don't have a lot of room to work with here, I'm only 15 working out of my bedroom window sill. IIRC, there was a webpage on someone experimenting with counterpoise on their concrete garage floor, and he reported corona or plasma or something of the sort radiating from the plate to the floor.

I'd be interested to find out more details. That would be pretty unusual, unless, perhaps the mesh wasn't hooked up to anything.