Re: [TCML] Ground Voltage Gradient

Dave

Bonding Xo (neutral-grounded conductor) to Ground (grounding conductor) is a
requirement not only of National Electric Code (NEC, NFPA 70 see Article 250
in entirety for separately derived power systems) and National
Electric Safety Code
(NESC for utilities).  Neutral and ground systems are then separate
and independent
systems to load.  If they are tied together downstream of ground bond point of
system, dangerous circulating ground currents can (and have) occurred; which
can result in a serious shock, arc-flash, or fire hazard, and can cause GFI
false trips or WORSE no operation in a ground fault condition.  If you have no
ground reference/bond, and a power conductor starts "striking" (ground faulting)
to ground, up to 8X Vnom can enter the distribution circuits.   ==8^O

It doesn't require much imagination to see what will happen if ~1kV is applied
to a 120VAC load; hint it won't be pretty.

I know of at least two cases where loss of distribution ground and
residential ground
(not installed) resulted either in catastrophic electrical damage
(main panel fireballing-
house consumed by fire) or arc-flash electrocution.  In Tennessee, a
substation ground
was stolen, bonding a radial feeder to a residential area.  Ground
rise (up to 1kV into
homes) resulted in more then $2,000,000 in collateral damage.  This account was
provided at a utility IEEE seminar on substation grounding I attended.

Grounding systems are so critical, it is the FIRST thing I design on
any power electronic
or power electrical engineering systems for which I'm responsible.  It
is truly a life
safety issue.  Remember, the ground path is the only thing that
maintains system voltage
symmetry, prevents dangerous step or differential potentials, and
conducts DC charges
(lightning) to earth.  I just upgraded the grounding system in my
house last February,
and ran a #2 CU THHN ring bus between my disconnects, ground rod /
UFER system, and
cold water line into home.  A #4 conductor was damaged (puckered
insulation, flowed
into conductor) by a direct ground strike, no other electrical damage in house.
And the wife wonders why I over build everything ("Honey, shi... happens!")

Regards

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA USA