[TCML] Re: A new guy with a primary threaded through holes

One thing I found is that toward the end I was really "manhandling" the coil.  I grabbed each side of the outer coil at 10 and 2 o'clock, sort of like the steering wheel of a car, and I would attempt to turn the thing.  It took quite a bit of force even to get a millimeter or two.  Once I had some "slack" introduced to the outer turn the innermost turn would sort of "break free" and I could twist it a couple millimeters.

I repeated this for some large number of hours.  Let's say that yesterday I started at about  8 AM and net a 90 minute lunch break and lots of coffee break time, I didn't finish until roughly 5PM, all of which suggests I am probably a man with too much time on his hands.  It's a kind of zen koan sort of process.  Sort of like mowing a golf course with a 22" Sears push mower.

The amount of force I applied consistently and the length of time I had to do it is a testament to the strength of the binding power of the acrylic cement.  Seriously, when it binds it's as if the 2 plastic pieces just become one piece.  I experienced no give, no cracking, no movement whatsoever between the stanchions and the lexan base disc.  I am what might be called in some circles, a reasonably "large" guy with a rational amount of arm strength for my size.  I figured if I broke the thing I was no worse off.

It didn't break.  Maybe I need to start bench pressing with heavier weights.

Now that I know how long it takes to do this and the effort involved I am not sure I would go through the trouble again, even though the results are pretty durned nice.  But as you pointed out, it's entirely doable.  You just need to not have anything else important in your life going on.

Oh well.  Onward to fabricating my MMC and Terry Filter!

>I managed to wind 50 feet in, then splice another piece to complete nearly 20 turns of 1/4". I'm sure I could have gone into pages of technique, if asked. As you discovered, there only a handful >of us who have succeeded, so no one's really interested in technique. At first the whole thing rotates, but pretty soon, you become master of scootching. I used Lexan and my glue failed >partway into the wind. I unwound the forms a fraction of a turn then screwed it into the base._______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx