Re: [TCML] Safety Issuie

On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:10:17 +0200, DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, don't run it with a pan of water replacing the sec coil. The normal sec provides a certain characteristic impedance load for the pri --- trying to
operate with any sec will produce a very high Q factor in the primary
circuit which in turn produces overpotentials that would, in short order,
damage your cap or xmfr.

I'm not sure of the exact impedance of a pan of water, but sounds like a
possible short circuit which would lead to the same problem.

Best to have the proper sec coil in place when opr your TC or testing.

Dr. Resonance

DC,

I may be misunderstanding your point, but it reads to me as if you are claiming, that coupling the primary into a short, creates a high Q in the primary?

European coilers, like Steve Conner and myself, have been boiling water off shallow pans, coupled to both OLTC and DRSSTC primary's, with no ill effect to cap or silicon.

So, everybody: Go ahead, boil your soup on your TC, it is a lot of fun! But first of all, a nice and safe way to get rid if a lot of power, during initial tests of a system.

Cheers, Finn Hammer