Re: [TCML] Measuring Voltage?

Spark gap tables work great for standard 1/2 dia rod gaps, which are
commonly used to measure peak DC and AC potentials.  As long as you are only
making 1 spark every 15-20 sec, and not 200 pulses/sec, then the peak
potential as measured with a rod gap is independent of the waveform.  That's
why Tesla coil measurements have to be taken in a pulsed mode.  I use a
large rectifier in series with a 30 meg power resistor in series with the
pri cap.  This provides a nice spark every 20 to 30 sec depending on the
size of your cap.

A common mistake many experimenters make is to assume the Vpri is the peak
voltage of the neon transformer.  Example would be a 12 kV neon xmfr with a
peak potential of 16.9 kV.  The true Vpri used in these calculations is
dependent on the spark gap setting, not the peak potential of the xmfr.  I
published accurate measurements of these potentials in the archives using a
calibrated power supply and taking measurements accurate to 1 mil (.001
inches).  In most cases the usual Vpri is around 12-14 kV and not the full
16.9 kV, but again this depends on your exact total spark gap setting.

You can have a 100 kV power supply, but if the pri gap is set to breakdown
at 14 kV, then 14 kV is the max peak voltage the primary will see, and the
equation Vsec = Vpri x 70% x SQR (Lsec/Lpri) is every accurate.

Dr. Resonance