Re: [TCML] Massive VTTC!

Carlos Van Camp wrote:
Thanks to everybody for the feedback. I will go down the solid state
path if I have to, but if I can, I would like to use as much of the
system I have already built, to get the 10 ft musical arcs that I
need...

Thats why I was asking about the thyratrons as an alternative to
spark gaps. As I understand it they are a type of tube, with hydroden
gas in them that can be triggered into conduction (like a spark gap),
but I'm not sure how controllable this would be to give me the
varying pulse rates that would be needed to create a musical coil...

Two ways.. Both will need a DC supply, for obvious reasons.

1) triggered spark gap (that's where you were basically heading with the thyratron...but the TSG will conduct bilaterally)... trigger it with an auto ignition coil driven by a suitable pulse generator (one could probably use some form of electronic ignition from a car, and an optoisolator). I don't know that anyone has run a TC with a triggered gap at 50kW power, though... I think you'd need to run a charging inductor and diode, or it won't quench.

2) Multiple RSGs with different break rates (different numbers of electrodes and/or different spin rates... certain intervals are easier with the different wheels.. a musical fifth is a ratio of 3:2, but others are easier with a different speed (a half step is 12th root of 2)) - your music input selects which RSG is used. If *I* were building such a thing, I'd look at a mechanical linkage from a keyboard to some sort of switching gap that opens and closes OR pneumatic cylinders.

For dynamics, your "swell pedal" (to use organ terminology) would be hooked to your variac or current control ballast.

Yes, but most thyratrons conduct in one direction only (they're a
diode).. and they have a variety of other issues.

Obviously if I built a standard spark gap coil, the 50kw power supply
I have would make 10ft easlily. Surely there MUST be a way to
commutate the the discharge of the tank capacitor into the primary to
simulate the fast rise time of the spark gap, but with the varying
pulse rate...

Also, I am happy to post some photo's of this monster coil if some
one will direct me to a suitable site... I am new to this forum and
found out the hard way that we can't post pics directly...

You could create a picasa site?