[TCML] Frying cars with Tesla coils

At one of my Teslathons 4 or 5 years back, Aaron Koscho and Justin Hays pulled their van up into the driveway where we had a large magnifier running. Sparks were about 10 footers, or thereabouts. Not only was the van repeatedly struck, many of the power arcs were directly to the radio antenna! I was expecting them to have to push the truck 400 feet or so to the road after they killed all the electronics. But not only did the truck's computer survive, *all* the vehicle's electronics came through with no problems, including the radio! I'm talking about sparks that were hitting the truck and antenna and were arcing around the rubber tires to the concrete! I don't remember if the truck was a Ford, but whatever it was, it sure was one tough truck!

Bert Pool

From: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:13 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Fried It !

.....On the 1996 ford taurus, something in the computer

failed making the car un-usable, this coincided with me running the tesla
coil in the garage.  That is, after running the coil near the car, the
computer was trashed (first and last time i would ever do that).  No, it
never arced to the car, and i'd estimate the car was maybe 8-10 feet away from the coil itself. The computer had to be replaced, i dont recall the
cost but it wasn't as cheap.