[TCML] Wire gauge for large diameter secondary?

I'm trying to help someone with a 20" secondary which is starting to fall apart. It's space wound, probably 20-22 gauge wire, and the windings are seperating from the PVC. This has caused several locations of arcing between windings and carbon tracking. All the modern coils that I've seen (12" and under) are tightly wound using the wire gauge size which will cause the correct winding lengths. But when you get into a secondary this large what to do? Is THHN, TFFN, or MTW suitable at all? Is space-wound still and option to help save on copper costs? If we do space-wound, what gauge should be used?

Conor