From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Teslalabor
Sent: 19 October 2010 16:04
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Coil V4 fail

Hi Phil, David,

The way I came to the 240nF is by following design steps from Richie
Burnetts site. Firstly, I calculated the "matched capacitance" with C = I /
(2*pi*50Hz*U) where I is the short circuit current of the feeding PT's
(950mA) and U the open-voltage of them (9450 Volts). So I come accros
arround 320nF matched capacitance which would resonate at 50 Hertz.
Then, I used the formula Richie gives for optimal primary-capacitance:
C=150*(Cmatched / 200bps)
So I got 240nF.
And, when putting this 240nF and the ballast inductance reflected to the
secondary-side of the transformers (arround 31 Henry) into Richie's 200bps
simulation, I come along with 16kV equal bang size! When putting in 166nF,
then its 18kV bang size, only 2kV more. So from this side of view, the 240nF
should do the job?

Maybe my error is in the correct calculation of the ballast inductance?

The inductance of the ballast I calculated with: L = U / (2*pi*50Hz*I) and
multiplied this with 25^2 because the transformer ratio is 400V / 10000V = 1
: 25

I is the short circuit current through the ballast (23,85A measured) and U
the voltage I measure accros the ballast when the HV transformer is shorted
(U=380V). So when putting this values in the inductance equatation, I get
50,7mH, and this reflected to the secondary side of the HV transformer
(*25^2) is 31 Henrys...

Stefan