[TCML] Re: Question about loss in Violet Ray configuration

Dave,

I suspect you're correct that is what is happening and Im going to try a much shorter HV output cable before giving up on the configuration.  Thank you for the input!

I do ensure a gap as you describe; depends on the device whether I use an air gap or a sliver of mica or other protective gap. And whenever I can I install a ground wire and 3 prong plug.  Mostly museum or collectible restorations, but you never know when someone might decide to fool around.

Thank you!
Glimmer

Glimmerest,

I suspect that you are losing current capacitively to ground through
your long HV cable.  If you think about it, the glass discharge tubes
are really just more atmosphere contained in a bottle, albeit at a lower
pressure, and perhaps with a selected gas in them.

Your long wire represents a distributed capacitive leak to ground.  If
you had a 6 foot long glass tube connected directly to the HV coil, it
probably wouldn't be very bright at the end farthest from the coil, either.

A word of caution:  If you have repaired blue ray machines, you should
have noted that there has to be some sort of protective gap in the Hv
discharge path.  If you have ever pulled apart one of the metal leak
tester tips with the red Bakelite sleeves, you will have noticed that
there is a perhaps 1/16" spark gap within this assembly.  I believe that
the purpose of this gap is to prevent direct DC continuity in case you
happen to plug the two wire cord in the wrong way, and end up with the
bottom of the HV coil connected to the hot 120 VAC line.  If you are
direct wiring to the HV outputs, you should put some sort of gap in the
path for the same reason.

If you are using glass tubes, they provide the protection, but if you
have a metallic connection to the HV coil, you should have some sort of
protective gap.

Probably the only solution to your original question is to reassemble
the devices in the same configuration that they were originally built.

HTH,
Dave