Re: [TCML] Re: Touching 500Kv Tesla coil

Hi Amir,
If you want to safely draw arcs to an object in your hand, just hook a ground wire to it. This way almost none of the current goes to your body (current divider rule) and you don't feel anything. If you let arcs go to your skin what happens it tiny burns form, over time these grow and make what is called "carbon channels." These keep growing until you die. Your body can heal from small exposures, this is how guys doing these stunts their whole life don't die, but if you do it too much and too often, point blank a carbon trail will eventually reach your heart and you will die, period. Just hook a ground wire to a metal rod and hold it in your bare hand, it is just as impressive and completely safe 100%, and completely painless. I like to wear non conductive shoes and stand on a rubber mat, but that is just me. Occasional nips won't hurt you, but don't try it, it isn't worth it. If you are building a tesla coil to impress people and it isn't working, there are some things to consider: 1: They are concerned for your safety and are acting unimpressed to keep you safe. 2: They just aren't that interested, and no amount of stunt work will convince them. If you want to impress your parents just get good grades in school, they'll love it I assure you. You may also try dappling in other projects that are a little less scary, why not try plasma globes? They are quiet, and make pretty colors that are more likely to amuse because they are quiet and safe, and since there is no fear, others can appreciate them. Or do something that helps them directly, like build a dishwasher or something. Anyway I'm not trying to dissuade you away from Tesla coils, but building them to impress people shouldn't be the only reason, it should also include a thirst for knowledge, and an appreciation for forces normally unseen and unappreciated, and largely misunderstood by most of the population; impressing people is just a healthy bonus. Take this as advice from someone who built his first coil with the intent of proving himself, only to find it didn't prove anything to anybody but himself, I'm infinitely grateful I chose this hobby, and that a greater meaning came out of it than petty proof of intelligence. Best of luck on all your ventures.

Scott Bogard.
http://bogard.110mb.com/index.htm