From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: 16 September 2010 01:47
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] CD942 Capacitor failure

Hi Phil,

Regarding power delivered across the gap: P = bps * 1/2*C*Vp^2.

Regarding MMC equations for evaluation, try this:
http://www.classictesla.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/MMCPower4.html

Regarding 200bps, the temp rise is still only 0.84°C and rms current is
18 amps. I doubt this is the problem. Certainly heating internally can cause
breakdown, but I suspect it is still a voltage issue. Not sure how your
going to identify that, but for the one failure I had on an mmc I referred
to in my last post, I sided with voltage and added a couple more caps in
each series string raising the standoff value and had no further
occurrences.

Take care,
Bart