Re: [TCML] current limit system and X-rays

Just adding my 2 cents to this discussion, If I recall correctly from a modern physics class i took last year...

you can calculate the minimum voltage for x ray production in this way,
assume that the kinetic energy of the electrons is described by their accelerating voltage

K=eV
where K= kinetic energy , e= the charge of an electron, V= the accelerating voltage

We want to look for a minimum wavelength (maximum energy) of the produced X-rays so we can assume that this will happen when all the energy from the electron is all used up in one shot

thus
hv=K
where h=planks constant, v= the greek "nu" which represents frequency

v=c/lambda
where c=the speed of light, and lambda is wavelength

playing with the units a bit
we can write

hc/(lambda)=eV
where hc=1240ev*nm, and lambda will be a minimum

lambda=hc/(eV)
where hc=1240ev*nm, and lambda will be a minimum

the largest wavelength considered to be an x=ray is about 10nm
which gives me a voltage of 124V, But when actually observing the intensity of these x-rays...well, they might as well not exist.

So this value is just an absolute minimum voltage from 124V to somewhere in 12Kv-15Kv range these are soft x-rays with very low intensities.
you start to get something actually meaningful at about 10Kv-15Kv when the intensity starts to become reasonably useful for various experiments.
and anything above usually 15Kv I think is considered a Hard x-ray, and the intensity at x-ray wavelengths starts to shoot up.

so in conclusion
We have a 0-35Kv x-ray source we use in the lab for powder crystallography that is shielded with 2-4mm glass doped with a little metal, we start getting crappy data around 12Kv with the best results coming from voltages above 18kv, So I feel safe saying that NST's should not be producing dangerous x-rays while running Tesla coils or in crooks tubes or whatever.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off you hands."