Re: [TCML] Re: current limit system and X-rays

The picture helps a little bit, thanks.

Modern X ray machines use Tesla coils to generate the high voltage and rectify it for the necessary DC to run the Coolidge type, filament heated, tubes. This significantly reduces weight and cost of the X ray power supply. Took 100 yrs for mfgrs to come back to this type of supply!

Interesting to note that Tesla coils were used to power X ray tubes in 1897 and fell out of favor due to the shortened life of the tube. They developed a special high frequency X ray tube to run off of Tesla currents, essentially an 2-in-one tube with a rectifying section built in but the ideas were short lived as the Coolidge tube came out and killed the use of the gas type X ray tube in the 1915's.

Modern Coolidge tubes have a vacuum as high as possible and is basically an insulator in the electrical sense. They require a heated filament to produce an electron stream. Think about the modern tube, the anode and cathode may be 1/4 to 1" apart and the tubes are hit with up to 200KV. Has to be a good insulator or there would be internal arcing across the elements.

You can make an unfocused X ray tube using an old radio tube and exciting it with high frequency HV.

Cold cathode X ray tubes have a small amount of gas in them so they will conduct when HV is applied and the tubes increase in vacuum with use to the point they will not longer conduct. Hence, tubes were fitted with regulators to inject small amounts of gas to lower the vacuum to make the tube operational within the desired limits.

Tesla had a single electrode X ray tube, it worked but was un focused. I have a working replica of one. I have a modern NDT X ray that uses a HF HV supply and a Lenard's tube! Talk about using 100 yr old ideas with modern parts and it is even battery operated!
I have a large collection of X ray tubes from 1896 to the 1930's.

If you want to generate any X rays or are worried about them, the vacuum level must be high enough in a gas, Geissler or Crookes tube before X rays will be produced. Basically a gas tube must "back up" or when connected in parallel with a spark gap and the gap opened, the tube starts conduction at a certain gap distance, 2" of spark.

Basic Geissler and Crookes tubes will back up 1/8 to 1/2" of spark typically and start conducting long before the voltage is high enough to allow X rays to be produced.

Remember, these gas tubes turn into voltage regulators once they conduct they will try and maintain that voltage drop and just continue to draw current as the voltage increases.

Now, using a single ended high frequency connection as you indicated in your link, the tube will conduct and not draw excess current, however, X rays will not be produced if the pressure level of the tube is not correct. See above.

Using a modern Coolidge type X ray tube will do nothing as its vacuum level is too high and the tube is just an insulator.

Contact me off line if you want more info or pix of some of the tubes.

Thanks! Frank