From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, April 4, 2011 2:23:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re. safety gap.

Hi Adam, all,

Yes, I use an ARSG with my piggy powered SG Tesla coil system
but no, I do NOT use any stationary safety "gap", as I've found that
if it ever does "fire" with that kind of power behind it, it simply goes
straight to a power arc and will not extinguish unless I turn the variac
all the back down to near zero.  I DO instead use a 27 kV rated
distribution "lightning" arrester in parallele with the output bushings
of my 14.4 kV pig for at least some bit of protection. I've tried 18 kV
rated ones but eventually ended up smoking them, twice. No more
problems with this after the upgrade to 27 kV.

David Rieben