[TCML] China Made Variac

On the subject of china's variacs I purchased about 30 variacs of various sized about 4 years ago from a local college(all made in USA).  I managed the get all of them working relatively easily even with heavy student abuse, a testament to the quality.
The department head whom I was a good friend of gave me a killer deal (come pick them up for a 100 dollar bill).
I spoke with him about a year ago at his retirement party and we got on the subject of variacs he was telling me their was a major lawsuit with a southern college for a student who had been electrocuted with a cheap Chinese variac,  Google yielded no results but I believe this to be true
I purchased 2 made in China some off brand about a year after acquiring the 30 not long after talking with my friend I disposed of them. I understand economics guides us in the building of our coils or else we would all have gold plated torrids and platnium contacts but In my humble opinion I would only use the Chinese ones just long enough to replace it and handle them with heavy skepticism.