Re: [TCML] Extrodinarily Rudimentary Question From Newbiest Naif

Hey Carl,

I still think the number of sky terminating arcs will vary in number
throughout the day. I'll find a coil out here in California and put
the theory to test. Also, you mentioned "This process is exactly the
same as lightning propagation, except that lightning is not
oscillatory"; I don't want to sound combative or anything but
lightning IS oscillatory. That's been understood in meteorology for
almost twenty years.

I'll see what I can do regarding this experiment. If anyone is near
the bay area I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks
Jeffrey

Hi Jim, sorry about the ending of the last email, I hit send before
finishing. The youtube link are a couple clips of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4mKcWdQWk

Its interesting you mentioning lightning because atmospheric
electricity is closer to my knowledge base than artificially produced
currents. I have been researching static fields, both environmentally
and artificially produced and I wrote because coming from a geophysics
point of view, the arc would appear to be arcing to the atmosphere
itself.

I wanted to ask this question to see if there were a consensus among
Tesla experts and if there wasn't, I wanted to propose a simple
experiment which should to illustrate the actual dynamics of a "sky
arc".

A Not sure how tight you are with geophysics but bear with me if its elementary.

What we call atmospheric electricity is also known as the potential
earth gradient (PEG). PEG is the potential electric field difference
which exists between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere. For
every foot nearly a hundred volts on average. During an approaching
storm it can be in the thousands.

To find out whether a Tesla coil is indeed arcing to the atmospheric
potential one could count the number of sky arcs over a given time,
then do the test again when then the atmospheric potential has been
altered. If the coil is arcing to the atmospheric potential then the
number of arcs would vary accordingly.

Fortunately, nature has made it quite simple since the field naturally
varies during the course of a day. These fluctuations could be taken
advantage of for this test. Finding these fluctuations can be made
quite simple with a fiber glass fishing rod and s couple pith balls.
Depending on the season and the weather, it would be quite easy to
observe the pith balls diverge to their furthest or closest and then
fire up the coil accordingly.

That is pretty much the experiment I have been planning to set up but
I don't have access to a coil.

Well that's the idea. If you're interested in what I do there are a
couple short
clips on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4mKcWdQWk

Thanks Again