Re: [TCML] HV resistor

On 4/14/11 10:18 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am looking to acquire a 1-5 Mohm resistor for a college project, preferably wire wound and of a higher power.
(my three 1W 1meg carbon films in series are not cutting it, flash over issues)

contact me off list if you might have something available

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV
_

How much power? How much voltage (a 1W is good for, maybe, 1000V, unless in oil)? Watch the power dissipation too.. Wirewounds are not wonderful for HV (they have an interesting breakdown phenomenon if they get nicked) and the inductance can bite you.