Re: [TCML] Resistors

Exactly - the cap value and the NST secondary inductance form a resonant
circuit at or near the 50-60 Hz mains frequency.  If the spark gap is set
too wide, the circuit will ring up to higher and higher voltages on
successive mains half-cycles, and far exceed the unloaded peak voltage of
the NST.  The cap doesn't need to be exactly mains-resonant for this to
happen.  This is why one of the reasons why LTR cap values are chosen - to
minimize the voltage rise should the gaps be incorrectly set.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA