Re: [TCML] Black Plastic

Generally speaking a megger would give indications if material is
lossy (bulk resistance)
with HV.  Need at least a 1kV unit, 5kV would be better, or
alternatively a 50kV hipot
test set would be even better, if current exceeds a programmed amount
(usually 1-10mA)
unit is tripped off line and highest recorded kV at puncture is stored
either digitally or with
a sample-hold amplifier in the analog world.  A dielectric absorption
test set could also be
used to determine if the material is suitable as a high voltage insulator.

Usually though, any plastic that is black has some level of carbon
black in it as a colorant;
which may eventually track and cause long term failure of the
material.  There are many
suitable materials available (our company uses a lot of GPO3
electrical grade composite
sheet), that uses no carbon black at all, avoiding this potential (no
pun) issue.

Regards
Dave Sharpe