Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

Hello Group,
My Jacob's ladder is very simple it uses an O.R.B.I.T. and welding rod mounted in ceramic electric fence insulators. I believe it's a 10/25 orbit, it gets warm during long runs but usually by then the rods are smokin' hot. Many years ago I would light a cigarette in the arc as a stunt.I don't recommend that but hey back then my teen age friends and I would consider it manly to see who could hang on to the hi tension wire from a model A ignition coil and light 4 foot flourescent bulbs with the electricty going thru the body.(That one stings a bit) Oh the nutty things we do growing up. He hee.. here's to reminising Best Wishes to all ... Binny... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Weinhold Shannon L" <Shannon.L.Weinhold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

No intentions of creating controversy....just my experience...
I've had good luck using 1/4" copper tubing for Jacob's ladder electrodes.
In my design I utilized 1.5" long ceramic tube insulators (the kind they used in houses way back when to insulate wires in the attic) to get through the wood. I crimped the end of the copper tubing to make it fit into the wire hole of a heavy duty connector and bent the tubing into an s shape to route it to the end of the NST. I connected these directly to the NST. This made the electrodes pretty stiff. The 1/4" tubing actually seems to work very well. Bends to shape fairly easily, but requires enough force that it won't bend out of shape once its set. I've never been able to get a Jacob's ladder to function with a cap across the electrodes. It just makes an evil buzz sound. Sorry Scott, I have to disagree on the voltage vs. current thing. Yes, you can extend a lower voltage arc of considerable current out a larger distance than a higher voltage and lower current, but the lower the voltage, the harder it is to get the arc self started across the same distance as is possible with a higher voltage. Which is why we use level shifters (voltage multipliers) with microwave oven transformers. Getting the spark gap to self start across a reasonable spark gap space (with a MOT without the shifting) is quite difficult, and then getting it to quench is damn near impossible once its started. A Gabriel electrode helps with getting the arc to self start (google it), but really I've found the 15/30 to be an absolute minimum to obtaining a reliable ladder, and a 12/60 is really optimum if you want something impressive, and you'll still need the Gabriel electrode to make it work reliably. If there are safety concerns, get an acrylic (or polycarbonate or pyrex, ect) tube with an inside diameter larger than the span of the electrodes and long enough that the electrodes cannot be touched easily, and mount this over the electrodes. This actually adds an echo/amplification to the sound and adds to the cool factor. Spirals are tricky, and the main thing to consider is that a Jacobs ladder works by continuously moving the arc into the super heated (and there for more conductive) air space directly above the current position of the arc, so the spiral need to be going up more so than out to keep this convection process in play. Good luck with the spiral thing. Its tricky.

Shannon Weinhold

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter.
When they separate, man is no more."
~Nikola Tesla