Re: [TCML] 4'-5' tesla coil sparks?

On 2/10/11 9:49 AM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the advice Jim,

Basically I am assisting on the design and getting the parts. The
museum itself is doing all the actual installation and construction.
Although i will probably end up helping out with winding the coils
and the like. I presume that they know all about rigging and such,
they are a reasonably large museum. The only question they could not
readily answer was about the RF ground and the grounding of the
Faraday cage to eliminate the interference. Is that even possible
with a reasonable mesh size. I may take an RF meter and one of my
small coils and do some tests just to see how much actually escapes
from different types of cages. My question was, how would running an
RF ground the long distance to the actual ground effect coil
operation. or could the building structure or lighting grounds be
used.

The cage (which should go ALL around the coil, including under it) serves as the ground. There's no need to ground to some other ground (other than the electrical safety ground).

Even a pretty big mesh works fine for this.

However, bear in mind that a faraday cage doesn't do much for magnetic fields, so don't count on it to keep fields under the ANSI C95.1 limits.. you need to rely on just plain old distance.

Money is certainly an object, but if spending an extra hundred bucks
gets a longer lasting capacitor then it would be in the better
interest to go for the better capacitor. The goal is for under 800$.
The museum is very, shall I say independent. They take a lot of pride
in the "do it yourself" approach and have a warehouse devoted to the
development of exhibits. I have brought up the fact that resonance
research can do perfect installations of TC's a couple times.

OK.. so they're into the labor rather than money approach..

no problem. At the few kVA power level, a MMC will hold up pretty well, but the commercial cap will do better, and I think you're right around where the commercial cap costs about the same as the caps for the MMC.