Re: [TCML] Beginning Tesla Design

I disagree with advice suggesting that designing capacitor strings to the DC
voltage rating will result in failure.  Designing MMC caps is commonly done
using the DC rating,

Terry Fritz performed a methodical experiment to determine the life
expectancy of CDE MMC caps, operated at a peak AC voltage equal to their DC
voltage rating.  The result (speaking from memory) was that they would last
at least 20 hours.  While this may not sound like a lot, it's probably a lot
more run time than any hobby coil would ever accumulate.

Probably the better thing to be cautious about is how gaps are set.  Merely
using a LTR cap value will NOT guarantee that a too-wide gap won't
significantly exceed the Vrms * 1.414 peak value.  If one chooses to throw
caution to the wind and open up the gap and safety gap, only then would
over-designing a cap voltage rating make a difference.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA