Re: [TCML] WHY Caps?

A capacitor and an inductor will form a kind of oscillator. When you connect
a charged up capacitor to an inductor, the circuit will oscillate, provided
the resistance is low enough. For a tesla coil to work, we need to feed the
secondary with high frequency AC at the correct frequency (the secondarys
resonsonant frequency). We do this by making an oscillator with the
capacitro, inductor (primary coil) and the sparkgap, which effectively
alternately connects and disconnects the capacitor from the primary coil.
You need to have the right combination of inductance and capacitence for the
correct frequency, that is why when you change the capacitance your coil
produces a different sound.