Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] "Lifter" power supply questions

On 16:59, mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I am working on a high voltage "lifter," and I have some questions about powering it. I checked the list archives and found some info, but nothing that addresses my particular questions. Any clarification would be appreciated.

You need about 20 kV DC at 1 mA for a "lifter" weighting 2 grams. This can easily be obtained from a flyback transformer taken from a CRT monitor. I have something here:

http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/flyback

AC sources don't work. You can possibly rectify the output of a 15 kV NST and obtain something usable. Add a series resistor (several Mohm) to limit current if a spark occurs. Usual electrostatic machines don´t produce enough current. You would need something as a multiple Wimshurst machine with 10 0.5 m disk pairs to reach 1 mA.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz