Re: [TCML] Cap Discharge Questions

> What is the actual likely hood of this then. If you had 16 caps
> in series without bleeders

   [across individual elements?]

> and applied a resistive short across them, is it a god
> given fact some will still hold a charge?

   I'm unsure which deity to invoke, Maxwell, i think.

   Guaranteed some charge, substantial will remain.
   Some will be lost, then they will 'equalize', at
   lower voltage/charge.

> If so how much percentage wise is realistically likely,

   I'm not gonna tackle the math, a good circuit simulator,
   or even a test rig would be interesting/instructive.

> and more to the point what causes it?

   No DC path from the 'inner' caps, round the loop,
   to equalize.

>> "Where it gets tricky is when you are discharging a series string of
>> capacitors, because shorting the ends of the string does not guarantee
>> that the components of the string are at zero volts, just that the
>> sum is zero.  You have to do it in stages.. ground one junction with
>> the discharge stick, hook on a cliplead.  Ground the next junction,
>> hook on a cliplead, etc."

  best
   dwp