Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:33 AM
To: Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] DC coils

I am planning to build a rectified 3phase - DC tesla coil with a
variable
rotary gap to give a variable pulse rate, and I am wondering about the
use
of the inductor (charging reactor)...
I can see this is used for several purposes.
To limit the charging current to protect the diodes and control the
maximum pulse per second rate.
Also, to create a high impedance for the HF circuit so it can oscillate
with out the power supply being a short accross it...
I can also see that there would be an optimum size (inductance) to best
match a given pulse per second rate for best performance.

What I am wondering is if it is possable to build a dc coil with a
variable pulse rate (without changing the inductance).
For example, a DC coil with a rotary gap with a variable speed drive.
And what effect does varying the speed of the gap have on the output?

Has any body had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Carlos