RE: [TCML] SISG Repair

Ok, so here's some more info on my coil:

It's a 6" DC-Resonant Charging coil.
Power supply = 2 MOT secondaries in series bridge-rectified, and another
identical setup like this in parallel for more current (hence 4 MOT's).
Smoothing cap = 30uF (28 elco's 220uF / 450V), so I have clean 6kV dc.
Charging choke = 8 fluorescent ballasts wich are wired in such a way that I
can change from 4 in series (2.5H) to 8 in series (5H).
When I put 4 in series I can put the other string of 4 in parallel with the
first one (1.25 H).
This is the configuration I use most, it allows higher BPS.

>From here it goes to the SISG (wich is a triggered SISG).
IGBT = IRGPS60B120KD
SIDAC = K2401GRP
TVS = 1.5KE24CA (24V) and P6KE33CA (33V)
Because I absolutely wanted a triggerable version I designed the PCB's
myself: 1 Module has 4 250V sidacs, hence 1kV / Module.
To build a triggerable SISG I studied many posts on TCML by Finn Hammer and
Terry Fritz.

Tank Cap = 100nF (8x8 strings of 100nF / 1600V caps)
Resonant Frequency = 125kHz with smallest toroid (6" x 23.6") and 104kHz
with biggest (5" x 40").

In ideal case the primary peak current should be around 800A... maybe too
close to the limit of the IGBT's :0
The IGBT's get good warm if BPS is between 400 - 800, above that they will
go hot but I try not to do so too much/too long.
Since I can trigger the SISG I use the coil frequently with audio modulation
and it has been working fine for months, though I must say
I don't apply longer runs then 2 minutes.

The SISG may have been destroyed due to internal arcing of the fluorescent
ballasts: a lot of energy then can find a clean path to the SISG...
If the IGBT's are broke because of too much stress (current) during
operation then I would have expected them to have died earlier...

So in a way I am curious of other 'SISG'-users that have encountered
problems with theirs...

Cheers,

Michael.